March 10, 2010

JP: Simplicity

No one else can love You like I love You Lord
For I was made unique in Your heart
I was made to bring You joy

Now I have a purpose
Now I have a destiny
You made me for Your glory
You made me for Your glory

I don't know why we Americans just can't be satisfied with simplicity. We are always trying to make something bigger, better, and greater than it is. If something seems simplistic or menial, we pooh pooh it and think that it is second rate or low in quality. This holds true in respect to our entertainment, our occupations, our homes, our cars, our vacations, and even how we relate to God. Basically, everything that effects our lifestyles. We can't just accept simple. Our mentality is - "if it is simple, then it isn't the best that it can be." We always have to improve on everything.

For example, at one time or another everyone ponders the question -
"What is the meaning of life or what is my purpose?" God answered this question in both the Old and New Testaments. But in our own wisdom, we can't accept His answers because we think - "that's too easy. There's more to it than that."

Let's look at the Old Testament. We have Moses coming down the mountain after hanging out with God for 40 days, and he proceeds to lay out God's plan for relating to His people. He sums it up in one simple sentence in Deuteronomy 6:5- Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Immediately, he lays out the benefits of following this statement and the downfalls of not. That's it?!?! Surely, there's more to it than that! It has to be more intellectually challenging than that in the New Testament. In Matthew 22, Jesus is having a Q&A session with some Sadducees and Pharisees and addresses God's plan after being questioned by a so called expert in God's laws. Matt 22:36-40, "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Wait a minute! That's the same answer? There's got to be more to life than just loving the God who created you, right? Surely, He made me for a greater purpose than that. After all, He probably created all these beautiful mountains, lakes, animals, plants, etc to bring Himself joy and other people to love Him. There is something bigger or better that He has in mind for me. If not, then I'll find something I can improve on. Arrogant thinking, huh?

Why is it so simple? Is it because God is simple? No way! Look around. When was the last time our scientists created a flower, animal, human, or anything out of nothing? It's simple because He knows us and loves us. It's not about us, it's about Him. Sometimes, we don't always exemplify the intelligence that He placed inside us or to put it another way, we're not always the brightest bulb on the tree. He's not out to trick us. It's simple because it's simple - pure and simple love for the Lord.

I'm closing with the same excerpt from a song that I opened with. It states the truth of what our purpose is:

No one else can love You like I love You Lord
For I was made unique in Your heart
(Ps 139:13-14)
I was made to bring You joy
(Is 62:4; Song of Sol 4:9;7:6)

Now I have a purpose (Matt 22:36-40)
Now I have a destiny (1Tim 2:3-4; 2 Thess 2:13)
You made me for Your glory (Is 62:4)
You made me for Your glory (Is 43:7)

Enjoy the video below

FYI - the 3 "old guys" that you see on stage are Allen Hood - President of IHOPU (left front), Daniel Lim - CEO IHOP-KC (far back left), and Wes Hall - Provost of IHOPU (at end)


No comments: