March 14, 2010

AP: Martha Graham

Guess what?????? I got to take a master class from an instructor at the Martha Graham Company and then got to see the Company perform last night! It was incredible. The Company is on tour and one of their stops was Kansas City. Because our studio is the only studio in KC that teaches a strictly Graham based modern (which I absolutely love! You know me.....dancing without shoes is the best!) we asked for a master class to which they agreed. And we only had to pay $10! And then, because we are the only Graham based modern studio, the place they performed at gave us free tickets to a show that normally cost $45 per ticket! My parents, Mallory, and I all got to go. It was really cool. We saw the performance Clytemnestra. It had a weird storyline, all the Greek mythology stuff that Martha Graham was into, but it was really cool to see the movements I do in class on stage. It was really neat.


Martha Graham when she was dancing.
She died sometime in the 90's.


Queen Clytemnestra in the production.
Martha Graham loved pieces of large fabric.


Anther picture of choreography of Martha Graham.....


Again, she loved the fabric....Doesn't it make fabulous lines?


A scene from the production Clytemnestra.
Also in the production.


A company member.


Martha Graham.


A company member.


Martha Graham and her fabric.


One of the company members. Isn't she incredible?


Same company member....in a different position. :)


Part of the production........He was Hades.


Other company members.


I love this position.....it is so flattering.


In the production.


Isn't his tilt incredible???? I wish my legs would do that!


Hope you enjoyed the pictures. I'll write more later.

1 comment:

DICK said...

So did you scan in the photos, or were they taken by a professional photographer (i.e. KP)??? (at least those that are "from the production). They are great. I realize you "pulled" the ones of MG from archives or somewhere.