March 5, 2010

AP: Week of Firsts Part 1 of 3

AP writes:

Wow. It has been forever since I last wrote! I really ought to be more diligent about writing at least weekly. As you might be wondering from this title, my week has been very interesting. Most of you know that about two weeks ago I was invited to be a part of a mission team going to Taiwan/Japan for two weeks. The major dilemma on whether I was going to be a part of that team was if I could get almost all of the money needed in just 14 days! (we had to do this in order to secure plane tickets) So I'm still currently in my faith building time with 8 days left (I need the funds by March 12th-keep praying).......I'm trusting God that He will cause the right thing to happen. (But its really hard!) Pray also for the other team members as they too have to raise their money in time for this deadline. It would be terrible if one of us who felt called to go, couldn't just because of financial reasons. And the team just wouldn't be the same without all of us.

Anyway.........in answer to my prayers for the opportunity to earn money to go on this trip, God gave me the chance to fill in for a friend of mine at the Holiday Inn working as the continental breakfast buffet attendant. It was so much fun! I worked four days last week training and then I worked five days this week. I'm also going to work on Monday. I have to be at the hotel by 6am.....uggghhh.......I know. Its very funny to watch me, a non-morning person, at 6am because my brain hasn't quite woken up yet. Several times I will walk into the kitchen and just stand there trying hard to figure out what in the world I came in there for! It makes me laugh so hard. I am responsible for putting out all the food, cooking the hot food (biscuits, eggs, and meat-either bacon, sausage, or sausage gravy), getting out all the plates, cups, and utensils, making sure the coffee stays full, keeping the hot water full, putting out oatmeal and hot chocolate, cleaning off the tables, keeping crumbs off the counter, ordering supplies, putting away deliveries, and then putting it all away, preparing for the next day by stocking up the trays, cereal, and refrigerator, sweeping, mopping, washing dishes, taking out the trash, and vacuuming. And that's only part of the responsibilities. It normally takes me until 11:30 to finish cleaning up. (the breakfast is only open from 6:30 to 9:30). I really enjoyed working here. And I got my FIRST paycheck! I did not like the fact that Uncle Sam took $11 of my hard earned money!

3 comments:

Tuffyw said...

I wish Uncle Sam only took $11 fomr me!!!!

Judy said...

You should tell Uncle Tuffy that it's like the widow's mite - you earned less so that's the reason that you paid less to Uncle Sam. It's the same size "bite" out of your earnings.

The trip sounds incredible. Which town has the church that you are going to minister to specifically?

Love,
Nana

DICK said...

Not sure if political comments are appropriate on this blog, but if Obama has his way, he'll take more from your next check, and more from the next one, and so on. Ultimately, you'll be paying him more than you make!