February 19, 2010

KP: My Baby is Back

KP Writes:


The first week of January I had a most unfortunate accident. Jeff and I went outside to take some pictures of the most recent foot of snow that had fallen. Everything was beautiful and quite frozen. I believe it was 1 degree and the windchill, yes Dick-the windchill, was -19 degrees. As a famous Christmas cartoon character proclaims it was "neither fit for man nor beast!"

Well, Jeff took some pictures then successfully handed my baby, the Canon Rebel xTi, off to me. I was freezing, battling to stand upright in the wind, and bundled in a thick heavy coat wearing gloves.It was then that I committed the cardinal sin of photographers, I neglected to put my arm through the strap of the camera. Next thing I knew, the camera was falling. I considered extending my foot to break its fall, but all I could think about was it being buried in 18+ inches of snow. So, I didn't interfere with the landing. It was beautiful, a perfect 10.0. The camera landed on its base as if it had been placed on the freshly shoveled cement driveway. In shock I picked it up and examined it. Nothing was cracked or even scratched. Could it be? Had I escaped disaster? I immediately took a few pictures. Sounded good. But....no display on the LCD screen. Just a black screen. Well maybe it is just cold. Hum. Rushing inside I hooked up the media card to the laptop. Beautiful pictures, until. The last several were a black screen. Nothing.

After a local camera repair man declared there was nothing he could do, we had it prepared for mailing to Canon. Long story short, I had to replace the CCD and the shutter to the tune of $270. UGH! It was mailed back yesterday and I picked it up today. I have yet to take new pictures but I am excited to again begin to fill the blog with photos of everyday life in KC with the Prices.

So, my baby is
back. I am happy. And I have learned a costly lesson.

Love ya,

Kristian

2 comments:

Judy said...

I'm so glad that they could "resurrect" your baby! I've missed the pictures!

DICK said...

If it is not all melted when we visit in April, how much $$$ penalty do I get to collect from you????