August 9, 2009

KP: Hummingbird or Dove

KP Writes:

Good Morning! Blessings from a very hot KC. I guess we are having a Midwest heat wave, but I feel more like I am having a midlife heat stroke!! The last couple of days have registered in the upper 90's only cooling down to the low 80's at night with a pretty constant sultry breeze. (Wow, I sound like I need a job on the weather channel.) Anyway, we expect much needed rain tomorrow which will hopefully cool it down some.

I often wake up early and sit out on our covered patio in the morning. I really enjoy listening to the birds chirp, watching the hawks soar overhead, and starting the day thanking the Lord for His beautiful creation and His provision in my life. On three sides of our patio is a flower garden planted by the previous owners that is very nice. Among the many flowers are hollyhocks, which are tall spindly plants with large brightly colored flowers at their tops. (I would include a picture but I have not yet found the box with the cord to download pictures from my camera to the computer! I have to remember, first things first!!)

Anyway, we also have this hummingbird that comes regularly and feeds from each of the hollyhock blossoms. He is absolutely amazing to watch. He always follows the same flight pattern zooming in from the north side of the house/patio around the 'front' to the south, feeding from each of the open blossoms and then takes off around the southern end of the house. Within a minute or so, the bird will repeat his flight pattern, feed, and leave. He does this 3-5 times before he is gone for the morning. As crazy as it sounds, I really enjoy watching this amazing creature and actually look for him in the mornings.

This morning I got my coffee, sat down and waited, and watched, and waited. No hummingbird. I really wanted to see him, even if just for a moment. As small as he is, he is so beautiful. His activity is so intriguing and amazing. As silly as it sounds, it is a highlight of my morning when he shows up. It brings me joy to watch something so seemingly insignificant doing the things he was created by God to do. Then the Lord spoke so clearly to my heart.

I felt strongly that it was not only a word of affection for me but for the church in America. Tenderly He said,
'My child, today you have had a glimpse into My heart. I am here, day after day, expectantly waiting, anticipating the moment I catch a glimpse of you. You are my beloved, and I long to have you show up, even for just a moment in time. You bring me great joy. You are beautiful and amazing to me. But you are so busy. You are so distracted with other lovers. This world has stolen you away. You are mine. Make time for me. Come and be with me, even for just a moment, even during the regular and necessary routine of everyday life. I am so disappointed when you do not pass by. I love being with you.'

About that time I remembered the pair of doves that are also a part of our back yard sanctuary. Glancing up to the power line, yes, there they were, just sitting, very still. You know doves choose one mate, for life. No others. Their eyes have no peripheral vision. They can look at only on thing at a time. No distractions pulling their gaze off their focus.

Are you more like a dove or a hummingbird? Even as a beautiful hummingbird, our Heavenly Father just wants us to come around the corner because He takes great pleasure in watching us. He loves us and thinks we are absolutely beautiful. He is waiting daily for us to just make a pass by His waiting gaze. We bring Him great joy!

I love you guys!
Kristian


3 comments:

Ashton said...

Great analogy! (sp?) I really like what you wrote. It makes so much sense to me. You sound just like Amelia!

tuffkel said...

Kristian,
It is good that I am not the only "crazy bird lady" as my children and their friends call me. When my hummingbirds arrive at my window or one of our other hummingbird feeders, I stop and make everyone in my vicinity stop. They are truly amazing and beautiful! I love my hundreds of birds that visit me every day and remind me of God's amazing creativity.

The analogy was not only fitting, but very timely for me. I have been living as a hummingbird. Not only have I been drawn to the "natural" distractions as your hummingbirds are drawn to natural food, but also to "human traps" like my human hung "traps" of sugar water draw my hummingbirds. The Lord has been patient with me in reminding me that I am not where I should be, but I seem to get so distracted with what is set before me. Oh, that I could be a dove and set my gaze upon Him and only Him once again! Thank God He has not given up on me!

Amy W. said...

Good to hear from you again. I have your page open all the time so I won't forget to check it. Miss you all very much. Trying to be a dove. There are so many distractions at my house (clothes on the floor, dishes in the sink, dirty diapers). I pray that I will let some things go so that I can be still and know that He is God. Thanks for the reminder :)