April 10, 2010

KP: Are you Willing?

KP Writes:

"Are you willing?"

Now that is a loaded question. 'It depends' would be a customary and safe response for most people. But in Kingdom living, that is not good enough.

I am often awakened in the night and know that the Lord is calling me to intercession. Many times my flesh is crying out to go back to sleep. I don't want to think or pray, because if I do, then I will be unable to go back to sleep for the rest of the night. But I have a clear impression that the Lord is calling me to pray for a particular person or situation. The question becomes, "Am I willing?" Isaiah 6 should be our only response, "Here I am Lord, send me".


The context of this passage was that Isaiah was undone when he saw a vision of the Lord on His throne in all His holiness. His first response was one of dismay: "Woe is me, for I am ruined...for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts". Then came the question from the Lord: "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Despite his feelings of unworthiness and inadequacy, Isaiah found himself saying, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah offered himself willingly.


For us, the Lord's request for our willingness may not come in such a dramatic context as what Isaiah faced of bringing a difficult message to the people of Israel. But He asks us the same challenging question: "Are you willing?" Maybe the Lord is asking if we would be willing to give time to intercede for a person, our city, or for our nation. He may be asking us if we are willing to deliver a word or warning or encouragement to someone around us. Perhaps the Lord is asking us to take a step we have been afraid or reluctant to take. Whatever the assignment, the question God is asking is clear: "Are you willing?"


In the New Testament Paul answers the same question with an equivalent answer, "Lord, what do you want me to do?" Also in the book of Acts, Ananias, the prophet who prayed for Paul, answered the question of "Are you willing?" He experienced an understandable moment of hesitation as he was facing a fearful task, yet in spite of his apprehensions Ananias was willing to obey God's request.


Some thoughts as we consider, "Are you willing?":
>Are you willing? Will you consider the responsibility of offering yourself to God as an intercessor?

>Are you willing to become a servant?

>The Lord is saying, "I am assembling my army. Are you willing to be a freewill offering? Will you give me yourself without reservation, go wherever I send you, become whatever I make you?"

>Are you willing to follow Jesus? Will you deny yourself? Will you take up your cross? (Somebody said, "Your cross is the place where your will and God's will cross." Every one of us comes to that place, and that is where we make a decision. Whose will? God's will-or my will? We all have an area of our lives where we have to say, "Not my will, but Yours, be done.")


What are the situations today in which the Lord is asking, "Are you willing?" Often the question comes during very challenging circumstances. It may be a step of faith you are hesitant to take. It may be a response to fulfill an aspect of your calling that you feel is beyond your reach. It may be a simple act of obedience you have been avoiding.


Listen to the words the Lord says to you as He encourages you to respond: "I have said to you in My Word that if you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land. Do not fear, and do not hesitate any longer. Are you willing to trust Me in this matter, and will you step out in response to My Prompting? Are you willing to move ahead at My direction, even though your feel dread and fear when you think of it? Are you willing to step out of the boat to walk out to meet Me as I invite you to walk with Me on the water?"


I believe with all my heart the Lord will meet us as we respond to Him. The promise of the Lord in Isaiah 1:19 is as true today as when He issued the invitation through Isaiah, for us to come to Him and reason with Him. The Lord's promise is absolutely reliable-if we are willing and obedient, we will eat the good of the Land.


Willing-although often after moments of hesitation, with understandable apprehension,
Kristian

No comments: