October 3, 2010

KP: Birthday Gift

KP Writes:
My newest prized possession is a hit for the Price family! For my birthday I asked Moma and Dick for a hammock. I was really excited that Dick was able to find one online at Sierra Trading at the end of the season at a clearance price. Being a proud owner of a fabulous hammock I had the task of suspending it for use. I asked Jeff to 'just hang' it from our patio covering, "like from chains or something". Well the problems were many ranging from a sloping ceiling, to support rafters not being in the correct spot, to taking up the entire covered area where our patio table sits....That is when Jack and Doe and Uncle Dick came to my rescue giving me checks for my birthday. At first I hadn't been sure what I would spend it on until I received a call from Jeff who was at Lowes. Guess what had been clearanced.....hammock stands, the big ones like what I needed. He bought one, brought it home and I immediately wanted to try it out. Unfortunately it was raining cats and dogs which if you know MO weather means the wind was blowing (as always) and so the drops were driving horizontally. Not to be stopped, we set up the hammock in the living room.

It was great. The four of us became quite fond of the indoor hammock: Ashton lays in it with her laptop preparing for tests, Mallory reads in it, Jeff takes five to regroup between tasks, and I have found it to be my favorite place to lay while downloading my day in a 5 minute capsule to Jeff, who so lovingly swings me with his foot while he sits the couch. All good things must come to an end....today we were having 15 people over for prayer so we had to move the hammock out of the front living room. (We thought we might need to get to the piano.) Each of the young adults found time to test drive it even though it was quite cool outside. (We warmed up to 62 after having been 35 last night!) But don't worry, the Prices have decided when it is too cold to lay in the hammock it will be relocated to the basement school room for the winter. Ahhh! Thank you everyone for a wonderful birthday gift.
Love ya,
Kristian

3 comments:

Doe said...

I was hoping for a picture of a body in the "THING" My it takes up a lot of room............Glad you are happy, happy with it. Love you all...............

Judy said...

I know you had wanted your hammock for a good while and I'm so glad that it has turned out to be so.o.o wonderful. I sure didn't realize that it was going to be this big, but then you wanted one large enough for you and Jeff both.

One word of advice about putting it in the school room - maybe getting into it will need to be a reward when work is finished or you may have "issues" . . .
Love you, Moma

DICK said...

I know why the hammock stands were clearanced at Lowes. They were shipped to the wrong Lowes store. Those are "southern hammock stands". Kansas City hammock stands sit on another frame that is two feet higher. That is so you can still swing when there is 2 feet of snow under the hammock. [But then, when I read your last sentence "bring it inside to the basement for the winter", I guess the stand will work OK.]