April 7, 2009

JP: The Masters

Jeff writes:

The Masters golf tournament is played this week and for the first time in 12 years I won't be going. Bummer. CBS is right when they say it is "a tradition unlike any other". For twelve years I was blessed that part of my job involved taking people to Augusta National for the Masters. What a perk! However, there are a lot of people who don't share that sentiment. They want to know what's the excitement of watching grown men hit and chase a little white ball. To an extent, I would have to agree. But Augusta National is a special place. Only those who have secured a badge (pass) are allowed to pass through the gates onto the hallowed grounds, and the number who enter in is unknown. To be honest, I really didn't enjoy watching the golf that much. I would have rather been playing.

What really made the trip for me was taking someone who had never been before and experiencing the Masters with them. As a company, our painstaking preparation practically began the day after the previous tournament was finished. Months of preparation occurred in order to make our guest's experience the fullest. To share in the awe and joy that they experienced in respect to the gift shop, course, up close action, beautiful grounds, and crowds was what it was all about for me.

Typically, our game plan once inside the gates was for one of us to take our guests to the gift shop while the others usually would race to the 18th green to secure seats for the dramatic finish. The game plan for the rest of the day was to wander the course enjoying the beauty of the azaleas and landscape, sometimes becoming part of the mob following Tiger or Phil. Often it was sitting behind a tee box amazed at the power of the player's drives and their skill. Whatever the plan we were thankful to be in the presence of these great golfers rather than spending a typical day at the office.

As I thought about The Masters this year, I was struck with the reality that God was trying to get my attention every year and I missed Him. He was as obvious as the crowd control dudes in the Green Hats, but I missed Him. In the gift shop, He was whispering "I have good gifts to give, too". Matt 7:11 "If you being evil know how to give good gifts...., how much more shall your Heavenly Father give what is good to those who ask Him." As we wandered the course the azaleas, the trees, and the rest of nature were shouting of His existence. Rom 1:20 "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." The crowds were a picture of the multitudes pressing in to touch or be touched by Jesus or just wanting to catch a glimpse of the release of His power. And never once as I sat at the green on number 18 watching golfers make their victorious march up the fairway did I ever think about Jesus triumphal entry into Jerusalem at the Second Coming. Will the crowds react the same when that happens as they will for this year's Masters champion as he wins his battle?


Just something to think about as we watch the tournament.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Pretty cool analogy.

DICK said...

In all my 36 years at the chemical company, I never had but one chance to experience The Masters, and it rained the entire day, but I could still see those things that you mentioned--especially the creation part.