February 17, 2009

JP - Me, a Bride?

Jeff writes:


As a man, I find it a little difficult to identify with the Bride of Christ thing talked about in the book of Revelation. Bride of Christ, what’s up with that? Now, if we’re talking about Joshua, Samson, Samuel, or David, that’s something I can identify with. Fight, kill, conquer!!! Ugh Ugh!! William Wallace (Braveheart). Freedom!!!!!!! As men, we are right there. As young boys, we’re all about playing army or cowboys and Indians. But, playing dress up and “let’s get married”? No way!

“But God, End-times Jesus of Revelation 19 is coming as the victorious King of Kings, eyes aflame with fire, a sharp double edged sword coming from His mouth, and robe dipped in blood from treading the winepress of His wrath, ugh, ugh, right?” True, but He is also coming as a jealous Bridegroom coming to avenge His bride. And guess what guys, you’re the bride, too!

Being a little slow, I asked God to help me relate. Being ever Faithful, He broke it down to a level I could comprehend. “You’re a husband and father of two daughters, think of it from that perspective”. That I could do. While Kristian and I were engaged, we lived 3 hours apart. We looked forward to the weekends when we could be together. However, inevitably one of us would have to leave. We longed to be together such that we would often leave Monday morning at 5:00 AM in order to be to class at 8:00.

Finally, our wedding day came. I remember standing at the altar at the front of the church waiting anxiously for the doors at the back of the church to open so that I could finally see my beautiful bride. It would only be a few minutes more before we would finally be together. No more having to be separated by distance and time. I could hardly wait for everyone in attendance to catch a glimpse of my beautiful bride. I remember my heart seemingly beating out of my chest. Why was it taken so long for her to get ready? Finally, the doors opened and she was more amazingly beautiful than I could imagine. Adorned all in white, radiant in beauty made ready for the wedding. How proud I was! Everyone in attendance stood in unison to gaze upon her. This is exactly how God sees and relates to us. He sees us as beautiful and has waited and is waiting longer for us to prepare ourselves for the wedding. Song of Solomon 4:9 says that we have ravished His heart. That His heart beats faster with one glance of the brides eyes. Men, can you relate?

Now, from the father’s perspective. I remember Kristian telling me that her dad started to cry just before the doors opened. He was both sad at “losing” his daughter, but also he was rejoicing in her joy as a bride who was going to meet the bridegroom that God had chosen for her. God revealed that this is how He feels about the marriage of His Son and His bride. He weeps for those who reject His invitation, but rejoices that the bride has made herself ready for the Bridegroom. Whoa, ok, I’m starting to get it.

We tend to forget of Jesus as the Bridegroom. I challenge you to look at Him more from this perspective. It causes you to receive His love in a whole new way. It has really opened my eyes as to how much more intimate He wants to be with me. He doesn’t want to be just our weekend date. He desires intimate times on a daily basis.

When I consider the heavens, the works of Your fingers, the moon and the stars that You have ordained, who am I, Lord? - Psalm 8:3-4


The bride of Christ, that’s who. Are you willing to spend time with the Bridegroom?


No comments: